Skip to main content

Incredibly Thankful

Dear Everyone:

Your response to my "confession" blog was, for lack of a better word, overwhelming. The stories you shared with me via your comments or in private... they mean more to me than I can describe. It was very hard to "come out" as someone with an eating disorder. Anyway. I'm working through it. And I'm so grateful to have so much support.

So I want to dedicate my extremely, overly sappy Thanksgiving blog to all of you, my readers, my family and my friends.

To my family/(including extended and John's family): Thank you for being you. I know we Higginses have gotten stronger with the loss of Jimmy. It still hurts. We all still hurt. But we are stronger together. I know we don't always get along, but we are always family. And especially to my siblings- you all  mean so much to me. I cherish you and each of you inspire me in different ways. Anyway, I always reflect back on the fun times we've had and I know we'll make fun memories as time goes on. I love how our family has grown, and now we have little hellions  (some furry, and one almost a teenager wtf!) running around.

My cousins, aunts, uncles: Thank you for your love and generosity, especially to Oliver! I am glad we see more of each other away from funerals :-P But we still need to see each other more. <3

To all my friends... and boy do I have a lot. I'm sincerely humbled. From the few I am in touch with since ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (and especially the ol' neighborhood gang) IN NEW YORK (thanks for being connected to me- I remember your birthday parties and your pool parties and all the shenanigans we would get into in class or in the neighborhood), to my friends in VA...some became better friends as high school ended....and all those who I met in college, including professors (many who changed my life), to my darling friends in South Carolina (I have the best memories there) to my friends here in Boston (shoutout to my grad school buddies and my incredible internship supervisor who dealt with a skiddish, NOT confident practically manic person who couldn't believe she put her self back in school after 5 years not being a student), ALL the friends I've made through working here in the city, and everyone in between (old church buddies, VA neighborhood buddies, China buddies, people i've met through online support groups [and some who I've had the pleasure to meet in person], and so on)...I also have to shout out to my new MOM friends! Being away from family is hard but in the last year, in this specific apartment community...I have found a tribe of wonderful women (and their better halves) who have become an incredible part of my life...THANK YOU!

Thank you for all those who have donated to my causes! I know I am the worst at sending thank you notes.... I say I will send them and I don't. Many of you have donated a LOT of money. Your support for my endeavors (be it NF or Stomach Cancer or other initiatives), I am grateful. 

Really, thank you.... each and every one of you has touched my life. I enjoy seeing your posts on Facebook, and seeing your beautiful families grow. Just thank you for being in touch, for caring about me, for being nice, for including me.

On to more sappiness... (I'm surprised if anybody is reading this)

I'm thankful my husband. Many of you know, but some of you don't....we have known each other since elementary school. But we lived separate lives despite having the same friends. I used to write comments next to people's pictures in my high school yearbook...what I thought of them. HAHHA... I wrote things like "dork" (very mature) next to his name. We ended up going to prom in the same group (he and his date drove me and my date). Our mutual friends exchanged AIM screen names and I IM'd him first. We developed our relationship through online chatting, went on our first date almost a year to the date of Prom and have literally become inseparable. He wasn't always the best boyfriend but he is an incredible husband and father. He calls me every day at work even if he's busy. He took care of me when I had all my surgeries. He asks me every day how I am feeling. He has be come very sensitive to my eating issues and doesn't make me feel bad if I can't eat what he cooks. (He cooks AND cleans so that I can spend more time with Oliver). He makes me so happy :)[[most of the time hehehe]]]

I'm incredibly grateful for my incredible day care providers who treat Oliver like he's theirs, and teach him things, encourage his creativity and curiosity, and keep him safe.

I'm thankful for my doctors who keep me running, and for health insurance and for Amazon. And for books and smart phones, scented diaper trash bags, plumbing, public transportation, pain medicine and white chocolate mochas. :)


And Oliver... he is a monster. But he has shown me why life is so important. I can't believe I was able to half produce him. I was so scared at every moment in my pregnancy and now he's here, and growing, and destroying our apartment, but he's here, and happy, and healthy, and funny, and smart...he's the best of me and John, with some aspects of our worst, but that's karma :-P He's the main reason I keep on keeping on. I love seeing him grow. i'm entranced by his smile and his silly personality. I think about all those who lost their kids too young and I just enjoy every moment. Even the tantrums. Tantrums are short lived. There's nothing like coming home and seeing his face light up for me (or for his dad!)...and the snuggles. I hope he'll be affectionate when he grows older. I can't wait to have fun adventures.

Life sometimes throws grenades, but the people in your life are the ones who help you pick up the shambles. They help build you as a person with every interaction. In my short 34 years, I've learned to deal with a lot of stress but got through it all thanks to people like you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Death and Surviving Survivor's Guilt: One Decade Without Zellie

 Late August /early September 2010 was a huge milestone for me. I had survived one year being cancer free after a huge struggle to recover from my cancer-curative-partial gastrectomy surgery (as you all know, I had the rest of my stomach removed in 2019) . My partial gastrectomy recovery was ROUGH. I spent 5 months essentially starving as my esophagus did not work. My face spent more time in the toilet than with friends if the visit had anything to do with food. Meanwhile, though, I still somehow got into grad school. But as I recovered, my friend suddenly deteriorated. And then she was diagnosed with lung cancer. And then she died. Her name was Jennifer Wille, but after college, she went by her pen name Zellie Blake. She was 27 years young. Zellie was a free spirit. She was funny. She was creative. She was happy. She was silly. She was tall 😊 (approximately a foot taller than me- in college I called her my “Foot Taller JenTwin).  She had a child-like innocence. She never stopped pl

A Rage Email to a GI That I'll Never Send (but want to)

 It's been a long time since I've blogged. I finally have a reason now.  I, again, had a bad experience with a GI (link to that entry on the word 'again'- note I was in pain and 10 years younger, so forgive my angrybadgrammar and fightingwords).  Fast forward to 2022. Complainblogging!  My favorite thing to do when I feel wronged. Just look at some of my earlier blog history, particularly in 2011 :) or maybe not. :-X For context: Throughout the spring and summer of 2021, I had excruciating pain from my head down to my throat (right side) that affected my ear and my tongue. Talking was difficult without pain. I had a lot of tests done with zero answers. My onc thought it could be trigeminal neuralgia, my neurologist didn't (and doesn't) think so but treats me for it anyway (usually does this to prove him right if it doesn't work- he's that kind of doctor). The medication he prescribed over the summer was an XR nerve pain medication. A couple of months la

4 Months Post Stomach Eviction

I can't believe it's been 4 months since surgery (and 101 days since being discharged!) How has my life changed? 1. I lost 10 pounds. Gained 5. But I still look like I lost 10. I can still wear my work pants but with a braided belt as tight as it can go. And I now buy XXXSP shirts and dresses instead of XXSP :) I can probably  fit in 000P pants instead of 00P but trying to hold off :X 2. I eat better than I ever had before. This is because I don't suffer with reflux anymore 3. I am actually hungry now. I had to force myself to eat one meal before. I have several alarms throughout the day to remind myself to eat (I get busy at work!). I take in more calories now than I ever did before. I am also less cold because I take in more calories. HA. 4. Since my trip to the ICU (lung collapse on left lung, clot on right lung), I now give myself daily lovenox (blood thinning) injections. I continue this until September. 5. I have fewer dietary restrictions now than before comp