Skip to main content

4 Months Post Stomach Eviction

I can't believe it's been 4 months since surgery (and 101 days since being discharged!)


How has my life changed?


1. I lost 10 pounds. Gained 5. But I still look like I lost 10. I can still wear my work pants but with a braided belt as tight as it can go. And I now buy XXXSP shirts and dresses instead of XXSP :) I can probably  fit in 000P pants instead of 00P but trying to hold off :X
2. I eat better than I ever had before. This is because I don't suffer with reflux anymore
3. I am actually hungry now. I had to force myself to eat one meal before. I have several alarms throughout the day to remind myself to eat (I get busy at work!). I take in more calories now than I ever did before. I am also less cold because I take in more calories. HA.
4. Since my trip to the ICU (lung collapse on left lung, clot on right lung), I now give myself daily lovenox (blood thinning) injections. I continue this until September.
5. I have fewer dietary restrictions now than before complete stomach removal. I can eat pretty much everything. People warned me that I wouldn't be able to metabolize sugar well. This has luckily not been the case with drinks. So I can drink all the sweet tea I want ( as I say... get me out of the south but don't you dare take the south out of me! Ha!). I can even drink white chocolate mochas and eat ice cream. But candy? Hit or miss. Pastries? Can't do it anymore. Weird.
6. I don't know how I am nutrition wise. 2 months post of I was great. Have to wait to see on my 6m check up.
7. My hair is slowly falling out. I lose like 15 strands a day. I hope it stops!
8. I used to hate the rain. And cold.  But after being in the hospital for 3 weeks, all fresh air and weather is welcomed.


Some pics to go down memory lane:






I do not remember being in so much pain the first time around. I was practically in tears. But this was me when I first got to my room! (a private room!)






3 days post op, I began to desat. This was before my lung collapse and pulmonary embolism was detected. Of course, I had to go into distress in the middle of the night, forcing a John Malcovich look alike to save me (forcing him out of bed first, apparently). And insert a chest tube while I was awake because I couldn't be sedated. Worst moment of my life.




My sister took the above video after I finally got to sleep post chest tube insertion. I apparently took off my mask several times and said "just let me die!"-- my poor sister!!! I was so uncomfortable. The ICU bed mattress made me feel like I was sleeping on large logs. My back hurt . I could barely breathe. Blah.


I slowly began wasting away after this. Like, all my weight just melted off.


While feeding tubes aren't fun, they do work!!!  Pic 1 is right after ICU (when I hadn't really received any nutrition aside from fluids "infused with nutrients", pic 2 is a few days after discharge from hospital (when I was still NPO)

















I do not miss the damn thing. The stitches hurt me so much that as they pulled it made me wretch/dry heave.








I'm not me without a gross pic. My feeding tube started to push out and contents spewed all over me. I had to tape it up to hold it in for dear life.







Luckily I got it removed a couple days later






My first taste of something other than liquid contrast on my taste buds. Miso soup. Miso enjoyed it. :)




My lovely lovenox injection collection. Will dispose of them eventually... :X  (and correctly) The injections CLOSE BY A SPRING  once done.... NONE of these needles are exposed OK!?!?!?! Oliver does not go near them. They are stored above his ability to reach anyway.







Life is definitely better. I am enjoying food. Aside from extreme fatigue I almost feel like my pre-cancer self. I am glad I evicted my stomach. I know I will face challenges and setbacks as time goes on, and I will need constant maintenance, but I made the right choice.


I am grateful for all of you who are always there for me!! I am grateful for the best family, friends, coworkers, doctors, everyone.

Much love,



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Death and Surviving Survivor's Guilt: One Decade Without Zellie

 Late August /early September 2010 was a huge milestone for me. I had survived one year being cancer free after a huge struggle to recover from my cancer-curative-partial gastrectomy surgery (as you all know, I had the rest of my stomach removed in 2019) . My partial gastrectomy recovery was ROUGH. I spent 5 months essentially starving as my esophagus did not work. My face spent more time in the toilet than with friends if the visit had anything to do with food. Meanwhile, though, I still somehow got into grad school. But as I recovered, my friend suddenly deteriorated. And then she was diagnosed with lung cancer. And then she died. Her name was Jennifer Wille, but after college, she went by her pen name Zellie Blake. She was 27 years young. Zellie was a free spirit. She was funny. She was creative. She was happy. She was silly. She was tall 😊 (approximately a foot taller than me- in college I called her my “Foot Taller JenTwin).  She had a child-like innocence. She never stopped pl

A Rage Email to a GI That I'll Never Send (but want to)

 It's been a long time since I've blogged. I finally have a reason now.  I, again, had a bad experience with a GI (link to that entry on the word 'again'- note I was in pain and 10 years younger, so forgive my angrybadgrammar and fightingwords).  Fast forward to 2022. Complainblogging!  My favorite thing to do when I feel wronged. Just look at some of my earlier blog history, particularly in 2011 :) or maybe not. :-X For context: Throughout the spring and summer of 2021, I had excruciating pain from my head down to my throat (right side) that affected my ear and my tongue. Talking was difficult without pain. I had a lot of tests done with zero answers. My onc thought it could be trigeminal neuralgia, my neurologist didn't (and doesn't) think so but treats me for it anyway (usually does this to prove him right if it doesn't work- he's that kind of doctor). The medication he prescribed over the summer was an XR nerve pain medication. A couple of months la