Skip to main content

Did I do the right thing?

Something happened tonight and I want to know if you think I did the right thing/if you would do the same thing.

Situation:

The hubs and I leave a party with friends and we get to Stonybrook station to go home.

Drunk girl comes in as we do. She's really really really really drunk. Getting more delirious by the moment.

She asks us "How do I get to Park Street?"

I point to the map and tell her and I tell her to make sure she goes to the INBOUND side. Of course she can barely understand me. Then she shows me how she practically broke her hand punching a girl in the face at a bar but she was "defending" herself she insists (she bumped into a person acidentally, the person got all in her face, and then she punched this person)

She walks far down the platform (the hubs and I watch her closely because there have been several drunk people that have fallen into the train pit) and ends up on a bench where some other guy is waiting for the train. They are strangers. They shake hands. She starts to tell him the same thing about her hand/her fight, etc.

I ask her if there is anybody that can help her once she gets to Park Street. Her ability to talk and understand gets worse. The guy says HE will help her. 1/2 of me thinks "oh nice guy!" 1/2 of me has red alarms going off.

Train comes, they get in/sit down, and he's ALL OVER HER. He puts her legs on him, he's touching her all over, he makes out with her. IN MY OPINION SHE IS WAY TOO DRUNK to make decisions about who can touch her, etc. So instead of getting off where we'd normally get off we follow them.

We get to the line interchange where she could get to Park Street, where she said she needed to go, and we pointed her in the direction but the guy says "i'll help her ma'am!"  but he brought her to some stairs, put her on his lap and kept...fondling her.

So I found an officer and explained the situation, that there was a really drunk girl and I feel like the guy she is with who is "helping her" is truly taking advantage of her and I was just worried. And then I described them. So the officer left his post to go check out the situation, and then we got on the train we needed to to go home.

Part of me is worried about this girl, really worried, because, ok, let's say he helps her home. The way he was touching her, he could invite himself in and who knows what he'd do to her. I am certain she cannot make judgements of who she wants to sleep with. She couldn't really even walk! So yes, I can see him holding on to her, helping her walk, but he was doing a bit more to her than helping her walk...

Part of me is worried I've made a terrible judgement against somebody who really might just be wanting to help.

But at the same time, I know my husband and male friends would not do that to some girl, who is alone, and drunk...

So PERSONALLY I'd rather make the wrong judgement, and get this girl in trouble for being 'drunk in public' and have this "helper" offended that somebody would accuse him of taking advantage of her than to NOT DO ANYTHING and find out on the news or something that she was raped. Or even if it's not on the news, just the worry that he could rape her...or go into her home and steal stuff, or sleep with her and then she wakes up terrified and confused...

But i feel sick to my stomach 1) with worry about what's going on with her and 2) that I really just made a bad judgement against this guy. BUT STILL, she was just so drunk and so helpless :,(

What would you have done?

Comments

  1. I would have done the same thing!! Hopefully they put her in jail for the night and protect her until she can. That guy was just happy to have someone he can do whatever he wanted to her! You should know she will be better with the police then that guy whether he is a good guy or not.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On Saying Goodbye: Leaving Boston after 17 Years

Dear Boston and all the people who have been in our lives: Thank you for the (just shy of!) 17 Years! What a beautiful city this is. It was such a privilege to call Boston home. You were worst of times (cancer, other health issues, losing Chaucer and Dante, job losses/ unemployments on both ends) but you were mostly the best of times (meeting the best people, having Oliver, completing advanced degrees, advancing in our careers, growing as people). You quite literally saved my life.. While some memories are quite triggering, they are reminders of strength and perseverance. And I am filled with thanks having been in the right place at the right time . Now here comes a waterfall of photos   Us in our early days here, circa 2008 Our graduations from Boston College in 2012 and 13 respectively  (I was pregnant and didn’t yet know in this pic!) Oliver’s birth in 2014 When i first moved here, I was not city savvy. I was not public transit savvy. And I HATED the cold and snow.  17 years later a

On Death and Surviving Survivor's Guilt: One Decade Without Zellie

 Late August /early September 2010 was a huge milestone for me. I had survived one year being cancer free after a huge struggle to recover from my cancer-curative-partial gastrectomy surgery (as you all know, I had the rest of my stomach removed in 2019) . My partial gastrectomy recovery was ROUGH. I spent 5 months essentially starving as my esophagus did not work. My face spent more time in the toilet than with friends if the visit had anything to do with food. Meanwhile, though, I still somehow got into grad school. But as I recovered, my friend suddenly deteriorated. And then she was diagnosed with lung cancer. And then she died. Her name was Jennifer Wille, but after college, she went by her pen name Zellie Blake. She was 27 years young. Zellie was a free spirit. She was funny. She was creative. She was happy. She was silly. She was tall 😊 (approximately a foot taller than me- in college I called her my “Foot Taller JenTwin).  She had a child-like innocence. She never stopped pl

Official Eviction Notice/ An Ode to My Stomach

JENNIFER THE SOVEREIGN , LLC February 24, 2019 RE: EVICTION NOTICE Stomach, It is recognized that you have been a 35 year tenant for PROPERTY OWNER. Your presence allowed PROPERTY OWNER to grow (albeit not that much, but GENETICS is more at fault), enjoy the sensation of full belly after eating delicious meals, and being an active member of the DIGESTIVE CO-OP. However, you have since become HOSTILE and UNCOOPERATIVE. PROPERTY OWNER has listed the following grievances: Grievance: WHEREAS in 2009 you invited Cancer to sublet on your top apartment near the GE Junction Attic causing LOSS OF PROPERTY/IRREPARABLE DAMAGE/ in surrounding area WHEREAS since 2009 your egregious party antics has wrecked havoc on your upper neighbor ESPHOAGUS causing IRREPARABLE DAMAGE to property which can cause FUTURE HARM to OWNER OF PROPERTY (and HOSTILE LIVING ENVIRONMENT) WHERAS since 2009 the consequences of your antics has caused problems to other neighbors such as LIVER, LUNGS, TE