Skip to main content

2011 Resolution: Do Something New Every Month

John and I have been together for 10 years, married for almost 5. Since we moved to Boston, we've always been so busy. Sure our first few months we explored (went to the aquarium, explored the North End, shopped on Newbury Steet, walked around EVERYWHERE) but after that life got busy and, other than when people visited us, we never really did anything fun. So we vowed TO DO NEW THINGS: either do things we've been wanting to do and never got the chance, or be spontaneous and do something different.... not really a big deal but we still had fun. We'll continue this tradition and hopefully be more INTERESTING. Oh well, here is what we accomplished:

January: we hadn't changed our main shower curtain SINCE WE MOVED HERE IN 2007. Sure we changed the lining, but never changed the front curtain. The old curtain was ripped thanks to the cats. So we bought a new shower curtain and a new bath rug.
Before

After. The new bath rug was WAY smaller than we thought when we bought it, so we got a new one a few weeks later- about the same size as the old green one except it is tan.

February: We ALWAYS wanted to have a waffle maker so we FINALLY  bought one!
OOOOOO!

OUR FIRST WAFFLE MMMM


Boysenberry syrup is The Yum. Nutella is yummy too..





















March: So on our anniversary, we always stayed in town, and went out to a fancy restaurant (our anniversary falls on Restaurant Week after all!), but this time we got out of town and went to Providence...it was a nice day!




The Commuter Rail Station

City Hall

Us in our silly St. Patty's Day flair- we have the best anniversary day :) This was taken at Brown University

Some of the Providence Skyline....loved this little city!


As luck would have it, when we visited Providence, there was also a Gallery
Tour....and these were our tour guides....they were hilarious. The Alien was Lawrence,
a finger painter. The woman was his mother and she was VERY PROUD of him.
They were SO great keeping in character!





















































April: MIT offered a FREE CPR class+ certification, so I thought WHY NOT, and signed the both of us up. We are now CPR certified!

Our "classroom"

Yay for us!

Setting up our dummy

Me CPRing

John CPRing

































































May: a VERY busy month since I had finals, John was grading finals and it was COLD, so I didn't want to be outside....but my dear Loic was visiting and we decided to go to the Maparium at the Christian Science Center- we weren't allowed to take pictures so this is what I got from Google. It was SUCH a great place- I recommend it! The rest of the Christian Science Center was basically a museum dedicated to Mary Baker Eddy.


In the lobby
Architecture of the lobby


inside the Maparium, from Google- photos are prohibited
Avec Loic
Avec John














































June: I GOT SO DAMN TIRED OF OUR LIVING ROOM. Our cats DESTROYED our couches, and we had ugly covers on them. Toward the end of the month, I got mad and forced John to let us throw them away and buy a futon. So we did.



Our new futon- you don't want to know what our living room looked like before....

Bye bye destroyed couches!!!! Damn cats. Why do we have
cats again?




July: We saw a play at Improv Boston- never did that before- and the play was a spoof on the MBTA system here (our public transit authority). John had this idea!



I accidentally deleted a lot of the photos, but this was from the final number:
MBTA: F*K YOU!!!! (it was such a great spoof- wish I got a better
photo of "charlie" from the "charlie card" as you see in the middle-
Oh it was great!


August- We FINALLY were able to see a special exhibit at the MFA- yay for BC studenthood giving us FREEEEEEEE entrance! The special exhibit was of Chihuly's blown glass work- oh it was sooo cool.




The Exhibit
I took hundreds of photos, and this was one of my faves. If you're my FB friend, all the pics are there

Another one of my faves.... this was just so good.



September: Not an easy month as I was recovering from surgery and then classes started. So we just used our renting of a car as our "new thing" since, well, we never rented a car for that long before! And it was the first time I was ever driven to work and school, and grocery shopping was so much easier with the car...so that counts, right? :)





Getting a ride to work, yay no bus! I was so sore after surgery and so grateful we could have a car
as to avoid a bumpy car ride





It was so nice to be able to go on errands!






October: Like May, we were busy with school stuff, but we had to do something! We never dressed up for Halloween before, so we did. Lazy, but it's something "new!" hahaa




John's idea to get the funny headbands...
bought htem plain and then I splattered red paint on them to
make them look more....realistic...



November: We got tired of our bedding! We'd had it SINCE WE MOVED HERE! so we got new bedding.


old bedding on ground waiting to be TOSSED AWAY

New bedding. Not warm at all.



December: Also a REALLY REALLY busy time. Since we'd been so busy, we'd never really had much quality time to ourselves. So ON NEW YEAR'S EVE, we had our FIRST DATE in MONTHS (to a restaurant we'd never been to before!!!) and decided to try to enjoy the New Year Festivities (last time we tried that, our friend Marcela was in town and it was -4 degrees...)   and then when we returned home, we FINALLY opened the bottle of wine my boss gave me while I was in the hospital. So it was a 'catch up on ourselves' day- something lazy, but still, very new. Hopefully next year we'll have a more EXOTIC December "new thing" hahaa

At Camino Real- a Colombian Restaurant
Ice sculpture at Copley Square



Back at home!

Kissies!
The wine my boss gave me when I was in the hospital- finally got a chance to drink it!

cheers to 2012!

Fat Chaucer is always interested in what we are drinking..


So that's it! As you can see, nothing special but we went through with it and were able to 'spice up' our lives somewhat! 2012 "new things" will hopefully be more interesting. HAPPY NEW YEAR! MY next blog will be my 2011 in review....but for now it's 1:30 something in the morn' and I have to go to work tomorrow! Buhbyee





Comments

  1. i love that last picture of Chaucer and the wine!

    also holy crap those cats destroyed your couch all right! insane!

    i know the whole surgery thing sucked but it looks like otherwise your 2011 wasn't too bad :) aaand I'm glad we got to see you guys again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On Saying Goodbye: Leaving Boston after 17 Years

Dear Boston and all the people who have been in our lives: Thank you for the (just shy of!) 17 Years! What a beautiful city this is. It was such a privilege to call Boston home. You were worst of times (cancer, other health issues, losing Chaucer and Dante, job losses/ unemployments on both ends) but you were mostly the best of times (meeting the best people, having Oliver, completing advanced degrees, advancing in our careers, growing as people). You quite literally saved my life.. While some memories are quite triggering, they are reminders of strength and perseverance. And I am filled with thanks having been in the right place at the right time . Now here comes a waterfall of photos   Us in our early days here, circa 2008 Our graduations from Boston College in 2012 and 13 respectively  (I was pregnant and didn’t yet know in this pic!) Oliver’s birth in 2014 When i first moved here, I was not city savvy. I was not public transit savvy. And I HATED the cold and snow.  17 years later a

On Death and Surviving Survivor's Guilt: One Decade Without Zellie

 Late August /early September 2010 was a huge milestone for me. I had survived one year being cancer free after a huge struggle to recover from my cancer-curative-partial gastrectomy surgery (as you all know, I had the rest of my stomach removed in 2019) . My partial gastrectomy recovery was ROUGH. I spent 5 months essentially starving as my esophagus did not work. My face spent more time in the toilet than with friends if the visit had anything to do with food. Meanwhile, though, I still somehow got into grad school. But as I recovered, my friend suddenly deteriorated. And then she was diagnosed with lung cancer. And then she died. Her name was Jennifer Wille, but after college, she went by her pen name Zellie Blake. She was 27 years young. Zellie was a free spirit. She was funny. She was creative. She was happy. She was silly. She was tall 😊 (approximately a foot taller than me- in college I called her my “Foot Taller JenTwin).  She had a child-like innocence. She never stopped pl

Official Eviction Notice/ An Ode to My Stomach

JENNIFER THE SOVEREIGN , LLC February 24, 2019 RE: EVICTION NOTICE Stomach, It is recognized that you have been a 35 year tenant for PROPERTY OWNER. Your presence allowed PROPERTY OWNER to grow (albeit not that much, but GENETICS is more at fault), enjoy the sensation of full belly after eating delicious meals, and being an active member of the DIGESTIVE CO-OP. However, you have since become HOSTILE and UNCOOPERATIVE. PROPERTY OWNER has listed the following grievances: Grievance: WHEREAS in 2009 you invited Cancer to sublet on your top apartment near the GE Junction Attic causing LOSS OF PROPERTY/IRREPARABLE DAMAGE/ in surrounding area WHEREAS since 2009 your egregious party antics has wrecked havoc on your upper neighbor ESPHOAGUS causing IRREPARABLE DAMAGE to property which can cause FUTURE HARM to OWNER OF PROPERTY (and HOSTILE LIVING ENVIRONMENT) WHERAS since 2009 the consequences of your antics has caused problems to other neighbors such as LIVER, LUNGS, TE